I’ve officially survived my first week as a newlywed, living in a tiny-ass house with a boy for the first time in my life. My birthday also happened, and let me tell you—it was a sexy one: Complete with knocking over a huge stack of wedding gifts, unpacking sandy suitcases, and breaking it to Alex that I’ve only designated about 7 inches of space for him in one of my closets.
I’ve got nothing to complain about. This is my last year of being in my twenties, which I most definitely don’t mind. My twenties have been largely full of depression, uncertainty, and the sorts of decisions that result in court dates. Sure, a small kernel of badassery may have emerged, and Alex showed up, but for the most part I’m just going to dismiss all of it as one big awkward learning experience:
1. Life is dangerous no matter what you do, so you may as well do what you want.
2. The easiest way to kill shame is to own your story.
3. Bitches be crazy.
4. Some people are not interested in changing—and that’s not your problem
5. Someone else will benefit from your survival. Keep going.
6. Not everyone is going to like you.
7. You’re in charge of your own perception.
8. Things do get better.
9. Lists help with everything.
10. Someone else out there always has it better than you and worse than you.
11. That little voice telling you not to trust someone? Listen to that shit.
12. We sometimes reap WAY better than we sow.
13. It’s possible to start over from (almost) nothing.
14. Imagination has no expiration date.
15. Don’t keep your own secrets.
17. Take notes on everything—get the dialogue right.
18. Almost everything in life can (eventually) be laughed at. There’s a short list of things that can’t, but everything else is fair game.
19. Not everyone has to like you.
20. Change what you can NOW. Stop counting on tomorrow to magically be different.
21. Wash your face before bed.
22. Choosing not to take revenge almost always works out best in the end.
23. That being said… using your skills to debilitate an asshole is a service to all mankind.
24. No one cares about your thighs.
25. You don’t always have to be polite.
26. Life keeps happening around you even if you don’t bother to show up.
27. Hold your head up high no matter what they say about you.
28. Fake It Till You Make It is a real thing.
29. Your people are out there. Go find them.
That last one is a shout out to you guys. You’re all my favorite people. And I’m excited about what this next year brings—hopefully we can figure it out together.
What’s the most important “life lesson” you’ve learned? Do you agree or disagree with this list? How do you feel about your upcoming birthday?
Want to keep in touch? Drop your email below and I'll send you FULL POSTS anytime I write something new. Only want to know book news? Get on the list here.